- In Part 1, we looked at price and discovered that this criterion is not as important as many people think. You want to keep costs low, but payback period is much more important.
- In Part 2, we looked at speed and discovered that expediting a solar installation can sometimes result in longer waits (or higher costs). You don’t want unnecessary delays, but it’s important not to rush the installation process.
Today, we’ll look at 1 more solar installer criterion – experience.
Selecting the Best Solar Installers Based on Experience
When it comes to installing high voltage electrical equipment, experience is important.
This experience not only ensures that the installation goes safely. But it also increases the likelihood that:
- Your system will last at least 25 years – maybe even 40 years or more
- Your solar installation delivers optimal returns over its 25-40+ year lifetime
- You qualify for all available incentives, inspections, permits, and approvals
So what constitutes experience?
We recommend going with solar contractors who have successfully completed at least 20 installations. And don’t make the mistake of going the DIY solar route for the reasons listed here:
In addition to overall experience – your solar contractor should be local. That’s because most incentives (i.e. tax credits, rebates, net metering) are geographic. The same goes for permits and inspections.
In other words, you want to hire someone who is familiar with the local landscape. The technical aspects of solar installation are fairly universal. Most components and panels can be used worldwide. But the paperwork varies considerably from state to state – and neighborhood to neighborhood.
At Sunline Energy, we specialize in the greater San Diego region. We can (and sometimes do) perform installations outside of this zone. But our area of expertise is right here in Southern California.
You can still go with a national solar installation company. But if you do, make sure they’ve done at least 20 installations in your area.
Are We the Best Solar Installer in San Diego?
It’s hard to say for sure whether we are indeed the best solar installer in San Diego County. But we’re definitely in the running:
- We have years of experience, with countless successful installations under our belts.
- We’re 100% local. If you’re not in San Diego, you probably shouldn’t call us. We’ll be happy to have your business, but there are installers closer by who can do the job better than we can (given their proximity).
That’s a pretty good showing. But ultimately, you’re the judge.
However, before you make any hasty decisions, be sure to read Part 4 of our series (tomorrow).
And in the meantime, don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. All quotes and consultations are 100% free.