- In 2012, the total number of San Diego solar power installations peaked at 10,700.
- In 2013, the total number of new local installations soared to 14,072.
That’s a whopping 32% increase in just a 12-month period. These numbers partially explain why San Diego now ranks #2 throughout the country in total installed solar capacity. Only Los Angeles is doing better than we are. But remember they have a much larger population.
What Is Driving this Boom in San Diego Solar Power Installations?
So why is there a sudden surge in new solar PV installations across the County?
There are actually a number of different reasons:
- Solar panel costs are falling worldwide (which explains why nearly every country is enjoying record-breaking growth).
- Grid electricity prices are on the rise globally as well. Why send increasingly large amounts of money to the utility company when you can generate your own clean electricity on-site, for a fraction of the cost?
These 2 reasons help to explain why solar is becoming more popular across the globe. But why is San Diego doing so well?
- We have some of the best solar incentives in the world. San Diego homeowners have unparalleled access to local, state, and federal programs designed to make going solar more affordable.
- We have tons of sunshine. This is a major advantage – for obvious reasons.
- In San Diego County, we continue to use more and more electricity every year. In 2012, for example, average per capita kilowatt usage climbed from 5.85kW a day to 5.99. This might not seem like a lot. But remember that grid electricity is becoming more expensive as well. We’re using more energy and paying higher prices – at the same time.
Help San Diego’s Solar Energy Industry Set a New Record for 2014
With falling panel prices and skyrocketing utility rates, the economics of solar are becoming increasingly difficult for average homeowners to ignore.
And San Diego continues to lead this nationwide solar revolution.
Although, it’s worth noting that different cities within the county are more active than others. Notable standouts include Santee, Solana Beach, and Poway (congrats to you guys). Areas that could use a little more “solar” encouragement include Lemon Grove, La Mesa, and National City.
Regardless of where you live, we’d like to invite you to join us on this exciting journey towards a truly sun-powered future. We service the entire greater San Diego Metro Area, so be sure to look us up if and when you decide to go solar.