- Myth #1: Solar Energy Is Too Expensive
- Myth #2: I Don’t Have the Budget
- Myth #3: Solar Isn’t Powerful
- Myth #4: Solar Doesn’t Work When It’s Cloudy
Today, we’ll look at the final myth in this 5-part series – solar doesn’t work at night (and you need expensive batteries or backup generators).
Solar Panels Don’t Work at Night
Okay fair enough. This one is partially true. Your solar photovoltaic (PV) panels will not work once the sun goes down.
But in San Diego, you don’t need on-site battery storage or backup generators to take care of your nighttime electricity needs. The County already has an outstanding program called net metering. Created by the government and utilities, this solar incentive solves the nighttime/solar dilemma.
And the best part is, it’s 100% free to join and use.
How San Diego’s Solar Net Metering Program Works
The process is very simple.
- During the day, your solar panels send any excess electricity into the utility grid (at a profit – when utility rates are at their highest).
- At night, you simply buy back the electricity you need from the utility grid (at a cost – when utility rates are at their lowest).
At the end of every billing cycle, you’re only responsible for the “net” difference in electricity bought and sold. For many Sunline Energy customers, this means receiving negative electricity bills from SDG&E.
Net metering basically turns the entire power grid into virtual storage for your solar panels. Send excess electricity in (when you’re not using the energy). And pull electricity out (whenever you need it).
Enrolling in San Diego’s Net Metering Program
Unlike solar batteries (which are crazy expensive) and backup generators (which require lots of gas), the net metering program is 100% free.
There are only 2 things required of you:
- Make sure that your system is legally connected to the grid by a licensed professional (DIY solar installations don’t count). Fortunately, our expert installation team is fully licensed and can help your system instantly qualify for net metering.
- Make sure that you actually enroll in the net metering program (inclusion is not automatic, as some San Diego solar customers find out). At Sunline Energy, we’ll apply for the net metering program on your behalf. This service comes standard with all installations that we do.
It’s as simple as that. Thanks to net metering, you’ll have uninterrupted access to clean solar electricity whether the sun is shining bright or it’s the middle of the night.
To see how easy it is to go solar, contact us today and request your free Sunline Energy quote. All property inspections and solar consultations are 100% free of charge.
And this concludes our 5-part series on dispelling the most common San Diego solar myths.