At that point, you are truly an independent energy producer who no longer relies on the utility company for the power that you need.
But what is the right type of solar installation?
First a little background.
Most people who go solar in San Diego use standard inverters to change their DC electricity into AC electricity. And they sign up for net metering, which allows them to sell excess electricity into the grid (at a profit) – and buy back electricity from the grid.
But when blackouts happen, your system shuts down automatically for safety reasons. When SDG&E sends out technicians to fix the blackout, they have no way of knowing which power lines are live or not. This is why your panels are prevented from sending electricity into the system during grid failures.
However, a growing number of solar customers are now investing in one or both of the following:
- Special inverters that provide continuous daytime power – even when the rest of the grid goes down. These inverters allow you to keep generating and using daytime electricity, without sending this power into the grid.
- Solar batteries that provide uninterrupted electricity 24/7. These batteries store excess energy during the day so that you can keep your appliances running once the sun goes down.
With these technologies, it’s possible to become truly energy independent.
Why Is Energy Independence Important?
Different people offer different reasons. And it really depends on the individual:
- Some solar customers enjoy the satisfaction of opting out of the utility game. Their properties become net-zero energy buildings that don’t rely on fossil fuel at all.
- Other customers like the protection. California’s utility grid is notoriously unreliable. And if you need continuous, uninterrupted power for your home or business, solar can offer that. This is especially important for hospitals and other emergency services.
- And still others simply want to be prepared for the zombie apocalypse. We’re only half joking about this. Check out this article to learn more.
And keep in mind that this energy independence also applies at the national level. Widespread solar adoption makes the entire country more energy independent and secure. Check out our previous articles about solar’s effect on national security and the economy.
Ready to Go Solar in San Diego and Become Energy Independent?
Whether to keep your food cold, your lights on, or the zombies at bay, solar helps prepare you for any number of unforeseen events.
And if catastrophe never strikes, at least you’ll have saved a bundle of money from not having to pay utility bills every month. Oh, and did we mention that going solar is also great for the environment and your health?
If you’re ready to go solar today, contact us for a free, no-obligation consultation. We’re here to help you make a smooth transition to a sun-powered lifestyle.
Still not convinced? Tune in tomorrow when we tackle reason #9.
To request your free Sunline Energy quote today, click here.
Over the past few weeks, we’ve explored a range of financial, environmental, and security reasons to go solar in San Diego. 9 reasons to be exact.
But in many ways, #10 is our favorite. Going solar allows you to “stick it to the Man.”
But who is the Man?
We’ll give you a definition in just a moment. But first, a quick question.
What is the most profitable business in human history?
The answer is ExxonMobil, which earned a record $49.5 billion in 2008 (adjusted to 2012 USD). Do you know who holds the #2, #3, #4, and #5 slots for largest annual corporate earnings?
The answer again is ExxonMobil. And if you extend the list to include the top 30 most profitable companies of all time, it includes Shell, BP, Chevron, and Russian oil company, Gazprom.
These companies are “the Man” because they:
- Sell a product that is toxic to the environment, harmful to our bodies, and terrible for the planet – both in its extraction and consumption.
- Continue to externalize costs like clean up, waste management, and air pollution
They do these things and reap record profits year after year – while most economies around the world continue to suffer – environmentally and financially. And don’t get us started on monopolistic utility companies that should be leading the renewable energy charge but continue to resist switching away from fossil fuel.
If this doesn’t make you mad, we don’t know what will.
How Does Installing Solar Panels Stick It to the “Man?”
When you install solar panels on your residential or commercial property, you’re able to generate your own clean power – for free:
- Solar energy is affordable
- Solar energy saves you money
- Solar energy protects the environment
- Solar energy is powerful enough to fuel the world
Big Oil (i.e. Exxon Mobil) and small oil (i.e. SDG&E) will continue to fight against solar energy. And our attitude is, let them. Because believe it or not, we don’t need them as much as they need us.
Go Solar in San Diego Today and Tell Big Oil, “No Thanks”
Solar power makes homes, businesses, and entire communities truly energy independent. There’s really no reason to continue renting electricity when you can just create your own – for free.
If you’re ready to take the plunge, contact us today for a free solar quote. Our expert installation team will analyze your property and assess its solar potential. Within a matter of weeks, you could begin generating your own clean electricity and saving money in the process:
- No more Big Oil
- No more utility bills
- No more pollution
And this concludes our mini-series on the top 10 reasons to go solar in San Diego (for now). If you’d like to go back to reason #1, click here.
And if you’re ready to request your free solar quote today, contact us today!